Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Zucchini


I have not planted Zucchini for several years. I've missed it. I also never thought I'd say that. If you have Zucchini you have a lot of Zucchini and sometimes too much Zucchini. I have found a few uses for it that I love and I miss all that Zucchini.
I have always loved slicing the Zucchini, dipping it in beaten eggs and then in bread crumbs and frying or baking the slices then dipping them in ranch dressing for a fun side dish.

I've always grated Zucchini and frozen it to make Zucchini bread through the winter.

A friend gave me an awesome recipe that uses Zucchini and or summer squash that I love to make often when I have squash on hand and even sometimes when I have to buy it because the recipe is such a good comfort food and a great side dish.

This year I tried drying Zucchini and making Zucchini chips. I'm in love. They are so good and fun to eat. I want to make more and eat them. I am also going to try grating zucchini, rinsing and drying the grated squash in my dehydrator to see if I can rehydrate it and use it in Zucchini Bread without having to dig through my freezer trying to find what I grated in the fall. I'll let you know how it works.

Here are the instructions for making the Zucchini chips and the recipe for the Spicy Squash Casserole:

Zucchini Chips
Choose small zucchini to dry. If you wish to dry larger zucchini, you will need to peel and seed them
Slice very thin. 1/8” thick or less. Dip in a mixture of ¼ c. Soy Sauce mixed with ½ c. water. Leave in the mixture for 3-5 minutes. Drain. Lay slices on dehydrator trays and sprinkle with your choice of spices. I did some with lemon pepper and some with Nature’s seasoning blend. You could use garlic powder, cayenne or any combo you like. Dry till crisp and store in a tightly covered jar or storage container. Eat like potato chips only with less guilt and calories. After I dipped the first batch, I added some barbecue sauce to the soy sauce mixture and soaked them for 5 minutes then dried them. They were awesome too. If using large Zucchini, halve the squash, scoop out seeds and halve again if desired then slice very thin. These are a fun snack.

SPICY SQUASH BAKE
4 eggs, beaten
½ c vegetable oil
1 c. biscuit mix
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, undrained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheese, divided
4 c. coarsely chopped summer squash or zucchini or a combination of both, diced fine
Combine eggs, oil and biscuit mix. Stir in chilies, onion and garlic and half the cheese. Stir in squash. Pour into greased 13x9” pan. Bake at 350ยบ for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bake 5 minutes more. Y: 8-10 servings.

No comments: