Wednesday, May 18, 2011

72-Hour Kit Wednesday - Protect your hands & 200th Post


A Personal Note - Today is a milestone for me; a big milestone. This is my 200th post. I’ve been doing this blog for over a year now. I guess I never really thought I would actually do 200 posts, or last even close to a year. Oh my how time flies, especially in the blogging world. I have to say that sometimes knowing you have a blog post to do is like knowing you have a sink full of dirty dishes to wash! It’s always there staring you in the face. However, I have learned so much over the course of the last year and I hope some of you have learned a thing or two also. I have also accomplished so many things towards my preparedness that I have put off doing for years. It has made me scramble to get things completed, learn more about things I was totally unfamiliar with and experiment with recipes and processes that I didn’t even know existed.

I don’t necessarily have much more food storage than I had a year ago; remember it isn’t about the quantity of food storage that you have as much as it is learning how to use what you do have. However, I look at the variety of things I have canned, the new rotating can racks in my storage room, and the different things I have learned to make with my food storage and it really does make me happy that I’m at post #200. I’m not sure how many more posts I will do, but there are things I still want to learn and hopefully more successes I’ll have that I want to share.

I always love hearing from each of you; finding out what you are doing – what you like or what you hate about preparedness. Please send a message or email and let me know what you are up to. If there are any questions you have or things you want to learn about, I may not know but I’ll do my best to find out. Have you made progress this year? Are your 72-hour kits ready to go? What is the biggest difference in your preparedness right now from this time a year ago? Are you cooking with your food storage? Have you met all your goals and set new ones? Let me know what you think.

One of my big goals this year was to redo my 72 hour kits. It has been fun sharing my weekly posts as I upgrade and revamp my kits. Hopefully I never have to use them, but if I do, they’ll be ready.

We have talked in a previous post about a change of clothing, including gloves. We even talked about having an extra pair of gloves for each person to sleep in if extreme conditions exist. I don’t know about you but I hate having cold hands. If my hands are cold the rest of me is cold too.

Another thing to consider is gloves for working. Considering that we do not know what the conditions in an emergency might be, I think it is safe to assume that a good sturdy pair of work gloves for each person might come in handy. Whether we need to use them to gather firewood or kindling, help clear a camping spot, carrying rocks for a fire pit or just plain doing stuff that gets our hands filthy, we might just be glad to have something to protect our hands.

Another thing that we might want to consider for our kits, are hand warmers. They are quite inexpensive and given the climate you live in, you might be glad to have them. I can’t even imagine being forced from my home in some of the extremely cold winters we have here but it could happen. In a case like that we would certainly welcome hand warmers. I would secure plenty for each person for a three-day period.

Make sure that your kits also contain a good pair of fingernail clippers, tweezers for slivers and plenty of Band-Aids and first aid ointment in your first aid kits.

If you live in extreme cold areas like idea, it may be worth looking into glove liners which add extra warmth when needed. Better to be well prepared and able to protect all those valuable hands in your family.

No comments: