Friday, May 20, 2011

Food Storage Friendly Friday – Meal Idea and Tip of the Week


I know that everyone is trying to make their money go further these days. I’m more careful when shopping to make sure I really need the products I put in my cart. I also try to be careful when cooking that I don’t cook more than what we can eat. Sometimes this means cutting the recipe in half and other times it means using less meat and more of the other ingredients and still trying to achieve the same taste and quality.

Here is an idea that one reader suggested when submitting one of her recipes to me. She said she stored “tons” of rice because they love it and she uses it often in her cooking. Here is her tip for making her ground beef go further with her young family. Thanks for the great suggestion, Megan.

Stretching Ground Beef
When I am browning ground beef for anything, Taco’s, Chili, Sloppy Jo’s I add one cup of cooked rice for every pound or pound and a half of meat just after draining the grease off. This works really well and my family never knows. The rice (brown or white) takes the seasoning very well. I try to freeze left over rice from meals that way there is no waste. If I am having a meal with rice then I try making a little more and then plan a meal with ground beef for the same week.

This week’s recipe for French Bread is from Laura P. in Arizona. Thanks Laura for sharing this recipe.

French Bread - Laura P.
2 ½ c. warm water
2 T. yeast
2 t. sugar
Soften in Bosch Mixer bowl (or any bowl if kneading by hand) for 1 for 2 minutes
Add
1 T. Crisco
6-7 C. flour
1 T. salt
Put on level 2 and knead and set timer. This dough will be stiffer than you regular wheat bread recipe. After it turns off, let rest 10 min. Place in greased bowl and rise till doubled. Punch down. Form into 2 logs; slice 3 slashes across tops of loaves with a very sharp knife. Let rise till doubled. Bake at 425º about 15 min. or till lightly browned on top. *I slice it when warm, add butter and garlic salt and put back in the oven for 5 min.

One of my husband’s favorite things is homemade garlic bread. I use this recipe from Our Best Bites for their Garlic Bread Sprinkle. We love it! After trying it, I was determined to make sure I have plenty of these spices on hand so I can always make it. *I love buying the cheese and most of the spices in bulk from Winco!

Garlic Bread Seasoning“Our Best Bites”
½ c. powdered Parmesan cheese
2 t. Kosher salt
2 T. garlic powder
2 t. oregano
2 t. basil
2 t. marjoram
2 t. parsley
Combine ingredients in a jar (preferably one with a sprinkle top) and shake.

No comments: