Friday, February 4, 2011

Food Storage Friendly Friday – Meal Idea and Tip of the Week


This is double tip Friday. I want to share a couple of tips that I’ve learned with you today. The first tip is from Marie Ricks who is a professional organizer and who I first heard on a radio show she did on Saturday Mornings on a Salt Lake City A.M. Station. Marie has an organization site/blog/business/books/ etc. Okay she pretty much does it all. I learned about this tip years ago and have used it ever since. It’s a small insignificant thing but one worth taking note of.

Here’s the tip: Memorize the number date of the 1st Sunday of each month so you’ll always be able to figure which day of the week a certain date falls on without looking at a calendar. So when you memorize this number it will be 12 digits long – one for the date of the first Sunday of each month. Clear as mud? She said it much better than I can. Anyway, I have used this numerous times when asked about making an appointment on a certain day without looking at a calendar. It is very helpful.

The second tip is one I learned just recently. I bet many of you already do this but it was new to me. I’ve mentioned before how I’ve been a bit obsessed with nutrition lately. That’s what happens when you get older and realize you should have taken better care of your health! I’ve also mentioned that I was raised on a potato farm and have always eaten and cooked with lots of potatoes. We love them and they are a main staple of our diet. However I didn’t realize how much nutrition was in the peels. Yes, I grew up peeling the potatoes most of the time.

There are tons of Potassium and Magnesium – as well as other nutrients- in the skin of potatoes. Often when I do cook potatoes, I discard the cooking water. However I learned that if you scrub your potatoes very well, DO NOT PEEL THEM, cut them up and cook them you should save the broth. It makes a delicious warm drink. It is high in nutrition and easily digested and much better for your gall bladder and liver than hot chocolate. It’s okay to add a little butter and a tiny bit of salt to the broth and drink it down.

I’ve been drinking a lot of this lately because my potassium levels are low and I don’t really love bananas but this stuff is good. And I do really love hot chocolate but if I drink it too often I pay for it dearly. I actually feel better after drinking the potato broth. I seriously thought it would be gross but it is so good. I’m also learning to substitute vegetable broth for chicken or beef broth in a lot of my recipes and it is fun as well as healthy.

Today’s recipe of the week was sent in by Gayle P. from Utah. It is interesting because the sausage is made from Wheat. I’ve read a lot about wheat meat before and experimented a bit but this looks like a fun thing to try. I’d love to hear comments or recipes from any of you who make your own wheat meat. We need to do a post on that soon. Thanks, Gayle!

Grandma’s Wheat Sausage – Gayle P. - Utah
2 c. ground cooked wheat (not packed) grind with fine blade in food grinder
1 ½ to 2 t. ground sage
1 egg
¼ t. each onion powder
¼ t. garlic powder
1 T. Brown sugar
1 t. beef bouillon
1 T. oil
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. sausage seasoning
Mix all ingredients except wheat together. Fold wheat in. Drop from spoon into a frying pan with hot oil; fry like a sausage patty. Fry about 6-7 minutes. This freezes well after cooking and is great on pizza. *This is a recipe using the cooked wheat that I love to make and freeze to use for pizza topping! For Pizza topping I fry it in smaller pieces.

No comments: