Thursday, July 22, 2010

A 'Mix Fix'


Okay. I admit it. I have a fixation with homemade mixes. I love the concept of being able to make things from scratch for less money and without added preservatives. I've collected recipes for mixes for years but just the last few have they figured into my food storage planning. I'll share some of these from time to time. Imagine how many mixes you can make for the price of just one purchased mix.

Today I'm including a recipe for homemade Rice-a-roni. Pretty easy to make. I'm also including my favorite variation on that mix, an easy Chicken Rice-a-roni salad that is so good for a cool summer meal.

Homemade Rice-a-roni
Just like the real thing, but more colorful.
1/4 c.rice
1/4 c. spaghetti, broken into ¼” pieces or vermicelli
1 t. butter
1/4 t. tumeric
1/2 t. minced onion
2 t. chicken bouillon
Parsley & pepper to taste
1 c. water
Melt butter in pan and stir in rice and noodles. Cook, stirring occasionally until rice and noodles are browned. Add water, onions, parsley, turmeric, and pepper. Bring to a boil. cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Servings: 2 to 3

RICE-A-RONI CHICKEN SALAD
1 package Chicken Rice-a-Roni
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped sweet pickle
½ c. diced onion
1 c. frozen peas
3 boiled eggs, chopped
1 c. slivered almonds
2 c. cooked chicken, cubed
1 c. Miracle Whip
Pickle juice
Mix cooked, cooled rice-a-roni with other ingredients. Stir in Miracle whip thinned with pickle juice. Serve on lettuce leaf. Sprinkle with paprika. *Note: the homemade version of Rice-a-roni makes a smaller amount than the box mix. Adjust Miracle whip dressing accordingly.

No comments: