Friday, June 24, 2011

Food Storage Friendly Friday - Meal Idea and Tip of the Week


Since I said that I was going to be posting more recipes and uses for Whole Wheat, I’ve received several recipes using Whole Wheat. Thank you to those who have sent them in. I hope we get a lot more so we can all increase the amount of whole wheat we are using in our recipes. Send any recipes or ideas to preparedness365@gmail.com. I’ll still be posting any food storage recipes that you send in also as well as the ones I’ve already received. I know we can all use more recipes that are food storage friendly.

One thing I have learned in the last year or so is that the more you incorporate food storage into your cooking, the healthier it is. I believe that many people who are very health conscience in their cooking are already using food storage and don’t know it. As I have mentioned in the past, food storage has and does get a bad rap. You can almost see some people turn up their noses when you mention food storage to them. I know that there are some really bad food storage recipes and ideas but there are also some good ones too, so if you have some of those good ones, email them to me.

The tip this week is one I got from a friend. She said she never buys baking powder anymore because it all contains aluminum. She makes her own and I think this is a great idea. I changed the kind of salt I use for the very same reason so why not eliminate aluminum from baking powder as well. Here are her instructions.

Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
This recipe makes 1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. corn starch (if your are storing the baking powder – omit if you are just adding to a recipe)
Mix baking soda and cream of tartar together until well combined and use immediately, or, add cornstarch to make a batch to have on hand.

This week’s Food Storage Friendly Friday recipe is from my friend Jeri B. in Arizona. She says with this basic salad recipe you can tweak it to fit your family’s tastes. It would also be fun served with homemade tortilla chips. Thanks for the recipe, Jeri.

Corn And Bean Salad
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 small shallot, diced finely or some rehydrated diced onion
1 can petite diced tomatoes (optional) drained or undrained, your choice
1 T. balsamic vinegar
½ T. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Just a little Sugar to taste
If you have lime juice or fresh limes you can switch out the limes for the vinegar. Stir all together. Drain tomatoes if you wish. You can also add some cooked pasta if you like. Spice up with dried or fresh herbs to your liking.

No comments: