Thursday, June 9, 2011

Using MORE Whole Wheat – Whole Wheat Pasta


I’m a creature of habit. I do things the same way over and over. Then, when they are done I ask myself why didn’t I use whole wheat in this bread or why didn’t I make Whole Wheat Waffles this time? The answer is simple I need to make it a habit to use more whole wheat in my cooking. I hope everyone else is doing better than I am. Some of my posts in the near future will feature recipes that use more whole wheat. I need to actively search for ways to use more Whole Wheat. Maybe if I have to post about it, I will do it.

What are your favorite ways to use whole wheat? Do you always make whole wheat bread or half and half bread? Do you grind your whole wheat fresh every time you make it? Do you freeze your ground whole wheat flour after you grind it so that it is ready to use? I’d love to hear how you motivate yourself to use more whole wheat in your cooking. Hopefully someone will inspire me to “get with the program” and use some of that wheat on a regular basis!

I’m a pasta lover. I love it in salads, soups or just with sauces on it. I love to throw in some veggies anytime I make pasta and use various sauces.

Have you ever eaten homemade pasta? It is to die for . . . so much better than the kind you buy at the store. I have a pasta machine that makes it so much easier to make pasta but you definitely don't need one. It is easy to make and you will love the results. Here is a recipe for whole wheat pasta using your fresh ground whole wheat flour.

Leave a message and tell me if you make your own pasta. Do you use whole wheat flour as part of the flour? What are your favorite ways to eat pasta? Do you have a favorite sauce recipe?

Homemade Pasta
1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 ½ c. whole wheat flour
½ t. sea salt
4 eggs
2 t. olive oil
Stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a medium bowl, or on a clean board. Make a hollow in the center, and pour in the olive oil. Break eggs into it one at a time, while mixing quickly with a fork until the dough is wet enough to come together. Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough is stiff and elastic. Cover, and let stand for 30 minutes to relax.

Roll out dough by hand with a rolling pin, or use a pasta machine to achieve the desired thickness of noodles. Cut into desired width and shapes. Allow the pasta to air dry for at least 15 minutes to avoid having it clump together. To cook fresh pasta, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired doneness. Fresh pasta cooks very quickly. It will float to the surface when fully cooked. Drain, and use as desired. *This makes a big batch of pasta.

No comments: