Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dried Cinnamon Apples - Yum!


There are a hundred different ways to dry apples. I tasted several of them and wasn't impressed. First off, some were so hard or brittle that it was work just to chew it. I didn't enjoy eating them and had no desire to make them.

I soon realized that if I'm going to spend the time to make them I better like eating them. A friend told me how she did it and I adapted her recipe to fit what I wanted these snacks to taste like.

My criteria were first, a "chewable" finished product with a good taste. Second, I wanted the apples to look appealing. To me a shriveled up dried apple that doesn't resemble an apple isn't worth the effort. Finally, I wanted my family to like them and thereby appreciate the time and effort that would go into them.

These apples are a little more work because I peel them. That is part of the reason they are softer to eat. They are a little more flavorful because I dip one side in a cinnamon-sugar mixture before drying. I knew they were a big hit when my family was eating them faster than I could dry them. That's okay. I'm glad they like them as much as I do. Here is how I do it:

Dried Cinnamon Apple Slices
Peel apples, core and remove any bruises or blemishes. Use any kind of apples that you like when they are fresh. The apples you dry can be a bit softer and still dehydrate okay. Slice apples into either lemon juice or pineapple juice. Cut them in about 1/4" slices. As soon as all your apples are sliced, drain in a colander or strainer. Dip once slice at a time into the cinnamon-sugar mixture dipping only one side of each slice. The whole slice needn't be completely coated. Place unsugared side down on dehydrator trays and dry 6-7 hours, (rotating trays every 30-60 minutes)or until apples show no signs of moisture on the inside when a slice is bent or broken. After you've done this you'll know when they are ready. Store in airtight container (if they last that long).

No comments: