Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Peppers


I've been fast and furiously working to bring my vegetable supply up to where it should be. I've been a slacker! So... now i'm drying something every day to make up for it. I'm hoping to get the drying caught up before it gets to be 105ยบ in my kitchen!

I'm mostly drying corn, peas, celery, a bit of cauliflower and broccoli and carrots. I also dried a few potatoes just to see how it went and they turned out well, although having been raised on a potato farm I felt like I was breaking the law when I did it.

One of the interesting things I dry is peppers. They are a great addition to any food storage items. Buy when they are cheap, dice and dry. Store with your spices for use daily or dry pack later.

To reward yourself for all your hard work, I think you should use some of those peppers you have not dried yet with some of those beautiful Strawberries you just picked up to make this awesome Strawberry Salsa. Now if I could just figure out a way to put some of this in my long term storage!?!

STRAWBERRY SALSA
2 ½ c. finely chopped fresh strawberries
1 c. chopped green pepper
2 T. chopped green onions
2 T. minced fresh parsley
½ c. prepared Catalina salad dressing
Dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
Pepper to taste
Tortilla chips or crackers for dipping
Combine strawberries, green pepper, onions and parsley. Stir in salad dressing, pepper sauce and pepper. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Serve with chips or crackers. Y: 3 cups

2 ½ c. finely chopped fresh strawberries
1 c. chopped green pepper
2 T. chopped green onions
2 T. minced fresh parsley
½ c. prepared Catalina salad dressing
Dash hot pepper sauce
Pepper to taste
Tortilla chips for dipping
Combine strawberries, green pepper, onions and parsley. Stir in salad dressing, pepper sauce and pepper. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Serve with chips or crackers. Y: 3 cups

No comments: